Sunday 6 May 2012

Surviving Bangkok, one app at a time

So I've always been an Android fan & I have to say that without it, I wouldn't have survived this long in Bangkok. In fact, I probably would've stumbled into a scenario straight out of The Hangover 2...
Google Maps has been invaluable in getting around & figuring out which buses & trains to catch.
Then there's the Learn Thai application that I use a lot because, not only does it have lots of useful phrases & translations, but it can literally speak for you - at the touch of a button a male or female voice will say the appropriate phrase for you! It's really great for giving directions to taxi drivers & telling them to switch the meter on so that they don't rip you off. :-P
Then there's Foursquare, which has helped me discover a couple of new places, Google Translate - which has been useful AND amusing (1 word in Thai can have 3 different pronunciations & meanings), & then there's the barrage of free applications that will guide you around the city & translate words for you.
Basically I wouldn't adventure outside the hotel without these apps, because I abhor looking like a stupid tourist with a giant well-crumpled map that is often upside-down...

No comments: